Monday, December 14, 2009

Positives in the midst of Chaos

The past week, I finally started working and hence spend a lot of my time commuting between Delhi and Noida. In the midst of the all the traffic jams and the lack of traffic rules in UP, I keep observing a lot of things (as I have nothing better to do :|). Some positive scenes that I saw and can recollect.

-> The visually challenged man who leads an independent life, commutes to work daily by public transport and does not feel in anyway inferior to anybody else. I don't know why but looking at him lead an independent life makes me feel great. I had earlier written about him in detail. Check out the entire post on this topic here.

-> Good to see policeman standing at bus stops forcing buses to stop in a single queue and in the leftmost lanes (at least during times of peak traffic), thus ensuring smooth flow of traffic at least around bus stops.

->The DTC bus that goes from Delhi to Noida and back is generally quite full and there is not enough space to even stand. Although there are a few seats reserved for ladies/senior citizens/physically handicapped people. However they do fall short. A very heartening scene to see a some guys getting up from their seat (not reserved for ladies..) to offer their seats to some lady.

->The Delhi-Noida ticket use to cost Rs. 17/-. Then the UP Government increased it to Rs 27 and told Delhi Government to increase their tickets to the same amount or else close th route. Bluelines have already been phased out on this route (A positive step, while this is not what the point I wanted to make...). The DTC conductor now gives a Rs. 29 ticket as 4 separate tickets of Rs.15+Rs.10+Rs.2+Rs.2. And then the conductor tears off the 4 tickets to indicate the bus stop of boarding and getting off...and takes a very long time to process each request. People spend most of their journey waiting for the conductor to give them the ticket. Today I caught a bus from UP Roadways and observed how they have smartly embraced technology. The conductor carries a hand held printer, takes the money, enters the code for bus stops and gives a printout of the ticket. Impressive!


And you might think that I have written only about road, traffic and stuff related to it...I reiterate I take at least 2 hours everyday commuting :(

9 comments:

Sagar... said...

really nice post:)...Loved it:)..

Sagar... said...

really nice post:)...Loved it:)..

Boxer said...

Thanks Sagar :)

Boxer said...

Ohh...this was ST daa.. I thought it was Sagar Katdare.. sry :|

Aditi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aditi said...

Good post...I actually mean it :)
Some nice points collated..
And I used to think that all you do is listen to the radio :P

Boxer said...

hehe..thanks Di :)

Radio bhi sun leta hoon... multiple process run in my brain :P EE Engineer :P

Vishrut Shukla said...

good one... gives me rays of hope.. and assurance that finally I can come to delhi/noida/ncr region.. at least some good/positive thingies still there!!! :P :P

Boxer said...

yo..though it seems to be disappearing fast...isliya JALDI aa bhai...