Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Spirit of Living

I recently came across an article in Hindustan Times about two blind men who run a shop in North Campus area in New Delhi...

Intrigued, I read further...

The shop called ‘Andhein Ki Dukaan’ (Blind person’s shop) is run by two visually impaired men, Pradeep and Umesh. The shop stands next to the Hostel For College Going Blind Students (Louise Braille Bhawan), Kingsway Camp and the shop has been selling snacks such as chips, biscuits and eggs and soft drinks since 1995.

It is very hard to even imagine two visually impaired men running a shop, even harder to believe that these men can now distinguish different products and money by touch alone. But Pradeep and Umesh can now distinguish a bottle of one cola brand from another; a fake note from the original..

I am sure that when Pradeep and Umesh must have thought of opening a shop, people would have mocked them, telling them that it will impossible, people would steal from them and they would be unsuccessful...It has been 15 years since that point and by God's grace, they have managed to survive and manage well.

These two men have shown that nothing is impossible if a person is willing to try...and it is this spirit of living that I salute..




P.S: I had blogged about another visually impaired man whom I used to meet on my way to office. Check out that post here...

P.P.S :Check out this news article in HT here...

12 comments:

Yamini said...

loved the post..
and the msg you wanted to convey was so clear..
nothing is impossible for a willing heart..

:)

Boxer said...

Thanks Yamini..

yup..Where there is a will..there is a way :)

In fact, whenever I read such news items, I feel positive...

Neera malhotra said...

I am glad that you get to read such articles. I am sure now you can understand my passion for my field.
I changed my field of work, not because I was not sure of what I want to do for my life. I was doing volunteer service since I was of 14yrs. Later, I realized I am made only for this field than just a volunteer work.
It was important for me to hear my heart and follow the world of possibilities.
Thanks for sharing the article. May more of such articles are published and the disability rights are considered as Human rights.

Boxer said...

Maasi...I can understand the passion that you have for this field, and I know that there is a lot that has to be done for differently abled people to be integrated in the mainstream...

But I am not sure of what all is being done for them...that information is not very forthcoming..neither from the government and nor the NGO's... I am not sure of how much is changing at the grass root level..

Neera malhotra said...

Its a gradual process.
There are mandatory laws (Article 14 of the Indian Constitution and chapter 5 of the PWD Act of 1995- and the revised version and the other three acts) for the inclusion of children with disabilities in every school. But, not many schools are following. Some due to proper infrastructure and many/ several due to social stigma.... lets see.. I am trying to develop training models for the parents, so that they can become the advocates for their child/ family member..lets see..how it goes.
The drift between the National Institutes and the Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) with the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (MSJ&E)is taking us nowhere. But, I have faith things will soon be stream lined. We need more social models on disabilities than just the medical model.

Boxer said...

Yaa...the basic truth is that the government is not helping...

They plan very well..but the implementation is not there at ALL..

And because people know that such things will never be implemented..so they do not want to be a part of this time wasting exercise...

If the parents can be encouraged to join in..It will be a big boost...

ARao said...

Boxer baba ka gyaan _/\_...good one!

Boxer said...

Thanks Rao...

Nt my gyaan though... :P

junoon said...

Awesome post Boxer. These stories are perfect to lift your morals and give each individual a will to succeed.

Boxer said...

Yo Govil..
True man..Reading such articles brings about a positive vibes..

sirtifyd jeeniuses said...

!
beautiful

guru

Boxer said...

Thanks Guru..