Monday, July 6, 2009

Na kisi ki aankh ka nuur huun..

This is a poem by Bahadur Shah Zafar, the last Mughal ruler. I heard the para which I have put in bold, and found the rest of the poem. Quite a soulful poem.

Na kisi ki aankh ka nuur huun
na kisi ki aankh ka nuur huun, na kisi ke dil ka qaraar huun.
na kisi ke kaam an aa sake, main vo ek musht-e-ghubaar huun.

( I am not the light of anyone’s eyes,
Not a harbinger of peace to someone’s heart,
Not of any use to any one,
But just a handful of dust.)

main nahin huun naghma-e-jaan fizaa; koi sun ke mujh ko karega kya?
main bare biruug ki huun sada, kisi dil jale ki pukaar huun.

( I am not a life-giving verse,
No use to someone who listens to me.
I am a cry in the wilderness,
A call of a heart gone on flames.)

mera rang rup bigar gayaa, mera yaar mujh se bichar gayaa,
jo chaman khizaan se ujar gayaa, main usi ki fasl-e-bahaar huun.


( My colors of self-image are now gone,
My beloved from me is now stranded away.
The garden which the spring turned into wilderness,
I am the spring harvest of that garden now.)

na to main kisi ka habiib huun, na to main kisi ka raqiib huun, jo bigar gayaa vo nasiib huun, jo ujar gayaa vo dayaar huun.

( I am lover of no one,
I am rival of no one,
I am the fate of my ruins,
I am the river of a wilderness.)

pae faatihaa koi aae kyuun, koi chaar phuul chirhaae kyuun?
zafar, ashk koi bahaae kyun, ke main bekasi ka mazaar huun.

(
Why should anyone sing a requiem?
Why should anyone place four flowers on my tomb?
Zafar asks: why should anyone shed tears,
As I’m buried helplessly in a vault underground.)

~ Bahadur Shah Zafar



2 comments:

Neera malhotra said...

Thanks Shashank for sharing this..I am spell bound..an amazing piece of art!!

love you

Boxer said...

yaa..truly a gr8 piece of work and simple poetry too..